76% of Rs 2,000 notes back in banks

Rs 2,000 notes

Rama Krishna  Sangem

A whopping 76 per cent of Rs 2,000 banknotes in circulation as on May 19 have been returned to the banks, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said in a statement on July 3, Monday. So, all theories of Rs 2,000 being kept in hands of black money holders proves wrong. Experts estimates, the remaining 24 per cent notes too will come back to banks by September 30, deadline for exchange of notes.

As on May 19, the total value of Rs 2,000 notes in circulation was Rs 3.56 lakh crore (trillion). Out of this, currency notes worth Rs 2.72 trillion have been returned, the RBI said. Only Rs 84 lakh crore worth notes are to be back.

It added that the data collected from major banks shows that out of the total banknotes in Rs 2,000 denomination returned from circulation, about 87 per cent is in the form of deposits and the remaining around 13 per cent has been exchanged into other denomination banknotes.

“Members of the public are requested to utilise the next three months to deposit and/or exchange the Rs 2,000 banknotes held with them to avoid any rush in the last few days before September 30, 2023,” the RBI said. On May 19, the RBI said that in pursuance of the “Clean Note Policy” it has been decided to withdraw the Rs 2,000 denomination banknotes from circulation.


Rs 3.63 lakh crore worth notes in circulation

It also said that about 89 per cent of the Rs 2,000 denomination banknotes were issued prior to March 2017 and are at the end of their estimated life span of 4-5 years. “The total value of these banknotes in circulation has declined from Rs 6.73 trillion at its peak as on March 31, 2018, to Rs 3.62 trillion constituting only 10.8 per cent of notes in circulation on March 31, 2023,” the RBI said.

It added that this denomination is not “commonly used for transactions”. “Further, the stock of banknotes in other denominations continues to be adequate to meet the currency requirement of the public,” it added.

“Accordingly, members of the public may deposit Rs 2,000 banknotes into their bank accounts and/or exchange them into banknotes of other denominations at any bank branch. Deposit into bank accounts can be made in the usual manner, that is, without restrictions and subject to extant instructions and other applicable statutory provisions,” it said.

RBI had given the customers time till September 30 to exchange or deposit the notes at their nearest bank branch. A customer is allowed to exchange Rs 2,000 worth Rs 20,000 at a time per branch.






Rama Krishna Sangem

Ramakrishna chief editor of excel India online magazine and website

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Kishan Reddy - Etela Rajender to lead Telangana BJP

Tue Jul 4 , 2023
Rama Krishna Sangem As expected, Union Cabinet MinisterG Kishan Reddy has been appointed president of Telangana BJP unit and party MLA Etela Rajender the newly […]
Kishan Reddy

You May Like

Chief Editor

Rama Krishna Sangem

Excel India national news magazine is a media startup founded and piloted by Rama Krishna Sangem, a Hyderabad based senior journalist with over three decade experience in the field of media, mostly in print journalism. His rich experience in reporting for both Telugu and English newspapers and heading a TV news channel and some online outfits will be of immense use to this venture. Excel India English news magazine seeks to fill the gap of analytical understanding to our readers who today are confronted with myriad media platforms. Our online version not only offers regular updates and commentary on happenings around us, but also gives larger stories not limited by space constraints of a print magazine. Excel India is ably run by a team of senior journalists committed to values and quality standards in the profession. We urge you all to support and guide us in this endeavour. Reach us at excelindiaweb123@gmail.com